Thu, Jan 25, 2018
Our partners at Pro Football Focus (PFF) are providing analysis for the Reese's Senior Bowl throught the week.
Senior Bowl week begins on Monday, January 22, and culminates with the 2018 Reese’s Senior Bowl on Saturday, January 27. We at Pro Football Focus will be in attendance all week long as several of our Senior Analysts will be on hand for exclusive takeaways, practice videos and immediate reactions to some of the bigger storylines of the week.
For a full Day 2 recap, check out PFF Analyst Jordan Plocher’s takeaways and standout performances from the second day of action in Mobile. Read more..
• From the first snap of wide receiver versus defensive back one-on-ones, Penn State wide receiver DaeSean Hamilton showed off his excellent route-running.
• LSU wide receiver DJ Chark impressed with a one-handed sideline catch, but the highlight moment of the day for Chark was UNC cornerback M.J. Stewart jumping a post route for a pass breakup
• While it’s to be expected due to his smaller size, Southern Miss running back Ito Smith is noticeably the quickest and shiftiest of the South team running backs
• San Diego State running back Rashaad Penny continues his display of hands and skills across the board by fielding punts and running routes well
• UCF tight end Jordan Akins put on a show in Day 2, capping it with his highlight reel one-handed touchdown reception
• Late addition to the week, WKU tight end Deon Yelder makes his presence felt with a contested catch against San Diego State safety Kameron Kelly
• Both Oklahoma State wide receiver Marcell Ateman and UCF receiver Tre’Quan Smith hauled in red zone touchdown receptions on nice moves
• Kansas State wide receiver Byron Pringle continues to be a hard assignment for defenders with his quick change of direction and stop-start ability
• Returning punts are Chark, Penny and Stewart
• Akins again displays great moves in 7-on-7 drills
• Iowa running back Akrum Wadley shines, both by hauling in a couple of receptions and in pass protection, stonewalling BYU’s Fred Werner early
• Penn State wide receiver DaeSean Hamilton brought down several nice receptions on the afternoon, creating separation often
• Oklahoma edge defender Ogbonnia Okoronkwo easily wins in his first pass-rush drill of the afternoon
• Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield hits New Mexico State wide receiver Jaleel Scott on a wide open out route, working against Penn State cornerback Christian Campbell
• Okoronkwo wins again in the pass-rush drill, proving too much for any tight end to block him along the edge
• Tight ends are having a hot and cold afternoon, Wisconsin’s Troy Fumagalli beat Texas A&M safety Armani Watts on an out route, while Central Michigan’s Tyler Conklin had one of his attempts broken up by West Virginia’s Kyzir White
• Oklahoma tight end/fullback Dimitri Flowers hauls in a one-handed reception
• Conklin hauls in a wheel route out of the backfield, placed very nicely away from coverage by Mayfield
• Arizona State running back Kalen Ballage looks very impressive on Day 2, easily beating a safety and linebacker in coverage and then hauling in a touch reception that was well over his head
• Penn State tight end Mike Gesicki displays his hands for the second day in a row, this time over Watts
• Boise State wide receiver Cedrick Wilson showing his skillset, hauling in a deep pass from Nebraska quarterback Tanner Lee, and getting big separation from the defender despite an overthrown target
In 11-on-11 reps, Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen hits Wilson on an intermediate pass placed well
Mayfield connects with Colorado State wide receiver Michael Gallup on an intermediate route and Mayfield then finds Gesicki streaking down the sidelines for another nice throw
Hamilton brings in an intermediate route from Lee, and Washington State quarterback Luke Falk showcases his play action skills that saw him with a 26.5 percent higher completion percentage after a play fake in 2017
[Editor’s Note: The 2018 NFL Draft Guide is coming. For PFF Edge & Elite subscribers, a comprehensive guide featuring player profiles of signature stats, grades and exclusive PFF content will be released on February 19.]
Western Kentucky tight end Deon Yelder has been added to replace two injured tight ends on Day 2. Florida cornerback Duke Dawson was on the field today, after sitting out yesterday with strep.
Out of North practice today:
Out of South practice today: